Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Daily Painting - Day 3 and 4

Apple Study
11x14, oil on canvas
I did 3 apples each day.  I used 2 different apples and changed their position as well as the light some.  I began by mixing 3-4 red values, a yellow/green, 2 values of the shadow plus a really dark (raw umber mixed with blue - used pthalo blue because it was the only blue left on my palette and didn't want to waste it.  I wouldn't use it again as it's too green).  I tried different brushes and different brush strokes.  I started with flat brushes and tried to limit my strokes (top apples).  The middle apple on the bottom, I started using some filberts to get a bit softer/blended look.  I am not after a photographic looking painting.  I love the look of brush strokes.  I also tried varying the direction of my brush strokes.  I feel like I over worked the top far right apple and almost overworked the bottom far right.  I am sure I learned a lot with this exercise.  I certainly didn't think painting an apple 6 times would be as challenging as it was.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay, so I forget what day I'm on as it seems I can't quite manage a painting every single day - especially when it is in oil as the...